'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2020 Convention
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:15 pm 

Sadly - COVID hit hard and additionally we were lacking in numbers to make it viable. My daughter and I worked hard mapping out the routes, securing the hotel, etc. Last count was around 18 or so cars, although I’m pretty certain we would have pulled in another 10-12.
Times are a changing and I’m not sure what the future holds as to these get-togethers in the future. I must admit I felt badly about the lack of interest in the tour, but also realize the difficulty in driving or trailering our cars beyond 109-150 miles.
However, it also is the way of the world. In the past several years several of the antique car swap meets have gone by the wayside simply due to the death of the older generation who have kept it going. The younger generation is more interested in customizing (which is fine) but joining in with their own age group.
Market wise, we see the values of our beloved ‘50 cars dropping in value as the new generation adopts 2000 Toyota’s, Honda’s, etc. As far as cars from the 30’s,40’s and earlier - forget it.
Our own local car swap meet “Dunkirk” is calling for a vote to continue or end the 50+ year meet this month. We have lost 20+ members who have died and simply don’t have the manpower to keep it going. As previously mentioned, there is no interest by young people to become affiliated with these types of clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am 
Forum Administrator

Andy. The pandemic has taken a toll on everything, including the car hobby but I refuse to let it stop me from using and enjoying our Ranch Wagon or my '32 Ford sedan.

I host the Annual All Deuce Run and covid stopped us in our tracks with the 20th Annual event, For the fist time I wanted to do something special and Brenda and I spent several weekends traveling through the Smokey Mountains trying to line up a starting point, hotels, restaurants & routes.

One month before the event I got a call from the first restaurant saying because of the pandemic they were closing, like stacked domino's falling over the cancellations kept coming, the motels and other dining establishments, like you I had to cancel the 20 th Annual All Deuce Run.

When 2021 rolled around I got back on the phone and most of the places I had planed the previous year.

I did pull it of but I went back to the old tried and true event from the past, we did have 45 cars show up and I didn't hear a single complaint,everyone that attended was glad to get out, so our 20TH is in the books.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:58 am 
Forum Administrator

ajochum wrote:
Sadly - COVID hit hard and additionally we were lacking in numbers to make it viable. My daughter and I worked hard mapping out the routes, securing the hotel, etc. Last count was around 18 or so cars, although I’m pretty certain we would have pulled in another 10-12.
Times are a changing and I’m not sure what the future holds as to these get-togethers in the future. I must admit I felt badly about the lack of interest in the tour, but also realize the difficulty in driving or trailering our cars beyond 109-150 miles.
However, it also is the way of the world. In the past several years several of the antique car swap meets have gone by the wayside simply due to the death of the older generation who have kept it going. The younger generation is more interested in customizing (which is fine) but joining in with their own age group.
Market wise, we see the values of our beloved ‘50 cars dropping in value as the new generation adopts 2000 Toyota’s, Honda’s, etc. As far as cars from the 30’s,40’s and earlier - forget it.
Our own local car swap meet “Dunkirk” is calling for a vote to continue or end the 50+ year meet this month. We have lost 20+ members who have died and simply don’t have the manpower to keep it going. As previously mentioned, there is no interest by young people to become affiliated with these types of clubs.

I am a road dog and it's not unusual for us to drive a thousand miles or more to attend a event but a lot of folks don't travel in old cars, maybe they worry about the cars reliability or fear of the pandemic.

I have heard my entire life that the car hobby is dying and at 71 years old I call BS, it's just changing and going in different directions, you alluded to a segment of younger people that love 4 door Hondas & Toyotas.
These young guys go for these cars because they are affordable, like the cars we were hot rodding at their age,

The Club I am a member of, Tri - City Rod & Custom, will celebrate our 50TH anniversary and we are the oldest club in the state of South Carolina, with that honor comes the sad part that most of the members are 70 plus and the youngest is 62.

Fortunately, for the hobby in our area there are a few localized clubs that have a large membership and younger and more enthusiastic members, they are very active and host shows and cruise ins,

Tri-City has paid it's dues,raised a lot of money for Charities, Meals on Wheels, ect, today we still meat once a month for dinner and host a annual picnic.

As long as we can get in our cars and drive around the hobby will never die.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/