'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2000 GMC 2500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm 
Club President

So my neighbor a couple doors down is in his 70's....bought this 2000 GMC 2500 brand new.

He asked me to come over the other day to diagnose why it would be using a lot of coolant.

The oil isn't milky at all...and it's running/idling/accelerating fine. So I checked compression on all the cylinders and #2 builds up to 120, but as soon as you quit cranking, it all bleeds off.

I'm thinking a head gasket. He said he did get it a little bit hot a few weeks ago and had the thermostat changed on it.

So I showed him the compression leaking down and gave him my best guess and called it a night.

He called me over this afternoon and showed me the brand-new beautiful GMC truck in his driveway (that he just got back from buying at the dealership) and tossed me the keys to the 2000 model and asked me if I wanted it. I've fixed a lot of his stuff (cars, lawnmowers, etc) over the years and he offered to give it to me, but I insisted on giving him a few hundred dollars for it. Other than the engine issue, it's clean, has 113K miles on it, AC blows cold, has new tires, fresh inspection, etc. It's a great truck.

So what are yall's diagnostic opinions based on what I've said so far? I don't really want to pull the head on the thing. I mean, I can do it...I just DON'T WANT to. It's got that Vortec fuel injection and dang it, I just really don't want to spend a whole weekend buried in the thing. But maybe I'm imagining it worse that it'll actually be.

Attachments:
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG [ 372.48 KiB | Viewed 2507 times ]

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: 2000 GMC 2500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 am 

Nice guys do get rewarded in life and it was very nice of him to think of you. What does the exaust smell like? Do you smell that sicky-sweet antifreeze smell in the air?
My guess is that you are on the money with the blown head gasket, but wait for a few more to chime in that are more knowledgable. Got any local shade-tree mechanics that could give you an analysis and perhaps do the job for you? You've got a lot on your plate at this point and changing a modern head gasket is not nearly as fun as working on a 60 year old engine. I don't know what the going rate is, but I've always found that there are a lot of younger motor-heads out there that would love to earn $300. Just a thought.