'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 pm 

Hi, does anyone have experience troubleshooting the electronic ignition on the 351 V8? My other car is a 37 Ford Sedan, has a square box on the firewall and has a Hall Effect in the distributor. I sat up for about 2 or 3 months, but was parked in the garage working well, now has no spark. I replaced the coil, the cap, the hall effect and the wire from the coil to the center of the distributor, with no help. Should I try to replace the square box, $175.00 min.? I just never had any experience with this type of ignition.
Any ideas will be well appreciated as I can't even drive it to the mechanic the way it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:39 pm 

Dale, is it the basic Duraspark II system from the mid seventies and early eighties 351W? Also does it have a neutral safety switch? I have chased ignition problems at times only to find that it was the neutral safety switch.

James

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm 

BestOne wrote:
Hi, does anyone have experience troubleshooting the electronic ignition on the 351 V8? My other car is a 37 Ford Sedan, has a square box on the firewall and has a Hall Effect in the distributor. I sat up for about 2 or 3 months, but was parked in the garage working well, now has no spark. I replaced the coil, the cap, the hall effect and the wire from the coil to the center of the distributor, with no help. Should I try to replace the square box, $175.00 min.? I just never had any experience with this type of ignition.
Any ideas will be well appreciated as I can't even drive it to the mechanic the way it is.
Or you make your life a whole lot less complicated and get rid of the control box,coil an associated wiring clutter and get this unit and run one 12 gauge wire to the "I" terminal on the solenoid and call it a day. https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/ca ... lue_85750/

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 pm 

James, I have thought of this neutral switch, it is just hard to get too the way the floorboard is built. I think the wire that goes to the starter is the only wire that is interrupted by the neutral switch, but I will study it further, thanks. The engine spins well, just no spark....
Jeff, I am really thinking of your suggestion, as i was hoping to just bypass the MSD box, more or less. You really have peaked my interest though as it would be much simpler.
Thanks to both of you.
Dale

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 pm 

Dale,
Does it have stock Ford distributor and box, or MSD? The Ford box is $20 - $40 depending on supplier.
By the way, MSD used the Ford design pickup in their distributor but MSD costs more. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:34 pm 
Forum Administrator

Dale,i recently experienced a similar problem with my 1932 Ford sedanbut I have a sbc and it turned over but wouldn't fire,after checking everything and asking a few questions I came to the conclusion it was the module and I replaced it,still no spark so back to the parts house and the guy ask what year car did the the distributor come from,I told him I built it 40 years ago and he said it's the built in coil pack and added,if this don't work bring it back and I'll give you your money back and I will match it out of my own pocket.

he knew what he was talking about.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am 

I did use the HEI choice shown above. Long story, I lost the timing changing out the dist. so it took a while to get up and running but it is now the Windsor 351 is running better than ever. I will remove all of the MSD stuff soon as the HEI only requires 1 wire to power it. What took forever was for me to admit that the balance wheel had slipped from it's original position so my timing would not work. Finally we used the finger test on #1 cylinder to get it close enough and wallaaaa, it runs. Thanks for the above postings, another happy 54 member.
Thanks Jeff B., email me when you get a chance,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am 

I did use the HEI choice shown above. Long story, I lost the timing changing out the dist. so it took a while to get up and running but it is now the Windsor 351 is running better than ever. I will remove all of the MSD stuff soon as the HEI only requires 1 wire to power it. What took forever was for me to admit that the balance wheel had slipped from it's original position so my timing would not work. Finally we used the finger test on #1 cylinder to get it close enough and wallaaaa, it runs. Thanks for the above postings, another happy 54 member.
Thanks Jeff B., email me when you get a chance,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 am 
Forum Administrator

Glad to hear you have you 37 running again.

Looking forward to seeing you & your brother in Memphis in September.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm 

Glad it's back on the road. I would replace the harmonic balancer at first opportunity of the outer ring has slipped just so it doesn't come off during a drive.

James