'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An 'ex-'54 Ford Coupe'
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 pm 

My friend Phil asked me if I was interested in a real deal on a '54 Ford...his tone made it sound like a 4 door Mainline, or something. It was a 'real deal', all right. His '54 Ford Coupe, ivory top, maroon body. Oxydized, but all solid, NO rust, stick shift, running 239. The other 'Real' in the deal was his wife Karen's '56 Merc. Now, Karen's '56 Merc was green, but a rare Tudor sedan...and a stick shift!
Engine was a low mileage San Jose Motors rebuild, a 312.
I got the 2 cars home, and swiftly stripped the Ford of engine, trans, and rear axle ass'y. Then the Merc: Same same, Merc engine got soap and water wash, and with the tranny got put into the Ford. Trans mount on the Ford had to be turned 'backward', for 2" difference in trans length. A 'bolt-in'!
Front brakes also switched, Merc had large 11" drums, BUT: 5 on 5" pattern, where the Ford was 5-on-4.5" pattern. No biggie, great news, in fact. I had some Buick steel wheels and caps...(Buicks are 5 on 5", and the wheels are 6" wide, and 'Deep'. So 'deep' that I had to raise the front with station wagon springs, to match the rear...I built the rear pack up with 2 extra leaves, and had Autumn Spring works arch them a little.
Car sat 'tall', but looked like NASCAR...wide wheels, larger tires (huge in rear!)
I bought a '56 Ford steering box and column with steering wheel, when installed it was still 1.5" shorter than stock. Looked and felt great. New bushings in shift linkage, shifted nice. Smooth, with monster power...Everything I didn't have came from Santa Clara Auto Wreckers.
My then girl friend Chris helped, in 4 days it was running. We took it down to Louis Fahrberger and had him put 'pipes' on it. Straight out the back, oval tips. Sweet!
Drove it about 3 months, then it got stolen. Gone forever...never found it.

Trying to replace it...? Maybe. This one'll be FAST...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:27 am 

That's really an unfortunate incident. What car are you planning to get this time?