'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Hitches
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 pm 

We frequently go on tours pulling our Boler (scamp style) trailer. I would like to put a hitch on my 54, either a regular hitch or preferably a receiver style. In time I will figure one out but if anybody has done it I would sure like the benefit of your experience, as, between the gas tank, the spare tire well, and a very weak rear crossmember on the frame, the task does not look easy.

Post subject: Re: Trailer Hitches
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:12 pm 

This is as close to the hitches I sold back in the 60's & 70's that were then made by Valley,this should work well on your '54 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Trailer-Hi ... kZ&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 pm 

You may want to add these also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gabriel-Shock-S ... oV&vxp=mtr You could get them at Autozone for about the same price and no shipping charge these fit 1952-56 Fords.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 pm 

Had a look at Jeff's recommendation on the hitch. After measuring and checking I decided to build my own. Everything went well but there is not much room so I had to tack it together and check the fit before welding it all up. I am a newbie on this forum so still need to learn how to send pictures. If anyone is interested I can email the pictures. Lastly I am also going to take up Jeff's recommendation on the air shocks to level the car out. My trailer has a very light tongue weight but it is still enough to tilt the car. Thanks for your help Jeff. Now back to my wiring issues!

Attachments:
index.jpg
index.jpg [ 138.95 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
HITCH6.JPG
HITCH6.JPG [ 755.78 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
HITCH9.JPG
HITCH9.JPG [ 765.61 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
HITCH5.JPG
HITCH5.JPG [ 914.62 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
HITCH1.JPG
HITCH1.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 2 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm 
Forum Administrator

Grant Jones wrote:
Had a look at Jeff's recommendation on the hitch. After measuring and checking I decided to build my own. Everything went well but there is not much room so I had to tack it together and check the fit before welding it all up. I am a newbie on this forum so still need to learn how to send pictures. If anyone is interested I can email the pictures. Lastly I am also going to take up Jeff's recommendation on the air shocks to level the car out. My trailer has a very light tongue weight but it is still enough to tilt the car. Thanks for your help Jeff. Now back to my wiring issues!

Grant,send me the photos and I will attach them to your thread.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/