'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm 

James,

I met you a ways back when I purchased some parts off of your '53 wagon. Try KOTTO in La Habra, California for a windshield. They specialize in chopped windshields and hard to find glass.
Your photo's are great. Paul
l

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 pm 

James,

I've been following along as you construct, re-engineer and build your 54. It's going to be a cool ride for sure. I'd thought about a 460 for my rebuild but decided against because mine will be a long distance car. I wanted the fuel economy. So chose a stroked 5.0 (331) instead. But I always thought the 460 would make one heck of a sleeper. You definitely have some talent for this type of work. Keep the pictures coming as you go along.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm 

Thanks Paul,
I remember you, i've kept your contact info, will let you know when other parts become available.

Thanks Tony, for following along. the 331 is a good motor config. Friend of mine put two turbos on one & it puts out 700 hp!. gets 27 miles to gallon when he doesn't have his foot in it... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 pm 

Been spending most of my time filling in the spaces in between the tack welds on the replacement sheet metal need to rid the body of rust rot.

The wagon needed anti-sway bars so I took the front sway bar that came with the 54, submitting to a 20 ton press to squeeze it to 30 inches, built axle mounts & brackets for the half circle brackets. It is being used as the rear sway bar. It's 7/8" in diameter. To make the smaller poly grommets fit the larger OEM holes in the 54 sway bar I welded a heavy washer on both sides them open the hole to the right size with a step drill.

To balance its effect I needed a front sway bar of 1 1/8th" diameter for the front. Since there was none available we made one, including the 1/4" thick brackets.

Lubricated grommets & struts were purchased from Energy Suspension...

Next is setting up the Flaming River steering column I picked up for $125, & steering linkage from Southern Hotrods

Then it's completing assembly of the motor/tranny & painting them. With the motor/tranny out I can finish the sheet metal welding on the fabricated firewall.

Before I paint any part or to provide rust protection before painting it's treated with Ospro (available at Ace Hardware)

Attachments:
swayend.jpg
swayend.jpg [ 52.2 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
swayrear2.jpg
swayrear2.jpg [ 75.61 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
swayrear.jpg
swayrear.jpg [ 79.11 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm 

Front Sway Bar, Ospro, Energy Suspension Structs

Attachments:
swayfrt.jpg
swayfrt.jpg [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
struts.jpg
struts.jpg [ 52.43 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
ospro.jpg
ospro.jpg [ 53.5 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 pm 

Axle brackets, U-brackets (they have grease fittings)

Attachments:
swaybracket.jpg
swaybracket.jpg [ 53.58 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
swaybracket2.jpg
swaybracket2.jpg [ 50.78 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
swaygrommet.jpg
swaygrommet.jpg [ 56.4 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:29 pm 

Today we moved the 54 up to the house garage & moved the 1966 f100 into the shop...
$$$ needs have reared their ugly head so we are going to attend to what the pickup needs & flip it for build money.

Here are some photos of the steering set up & what the 54 looks like on pavement. Next for the 54 is finish welding all the panels we couldn't get to because the motor was in the way. Then it's grinding down all the welding & prepping the body for etching primer, then fill primer, lots of sanding, then paint. Along the way the dash will be filled & fitted (i'm going to hide all the controls & an alarm system I created, wiring, adding the extra tail lights, fitting the 59 caddy bullet lights in the rear, creating a rear roll pan (going to have center exhausts), fitting the drive line & modifying the floor if needed, fixing the window channels, welding together the front sheet metal (going to have a tilt front end)...etc. list never seems to end...but that's part of building a custom car...shopping the top will be the last body work task we perform...

Attachments:
54front.jpg
54front.jpg [ 80.86 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
54side.jpg
54side.jpg [ 84.12 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm 

steering is Ididit column, with column shift, nickel plated u-joints, steering shaft & connectors are from Southwest Speed.

Attachments:
54steeringw.jpg
54steeringw.jpg [ 78.42 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
54steeringl.jpg
54steeringl.jpg [ 80.82 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 am 

Cool project. Can't wait to see the final product.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm 

Back at it again...pushed the car up to my home garage & started grinding the welds. will be doing this until the entire body & suspension is smoothed out...followed up by any pin hole welding, then finish grinding. will treat entire surface with Ospro to rust protect until painting...

next we will figure out a way to lift the body off the frame so we can media blast the frame & paint it, do the same to the body...we have a guy who comes out to your shop with his equipment to go the blast work.

A little skim of bondo & all will be good...

While I'm massaging the welds we have moved a 1947 plymouth business coupe into the shop..will be replacing the floors, rocker panels, reworking the engine area for a bigger motor (Yet to be determined), motor mounts, etc. replacing stock rear end with a ford 8 inch, converting to disc brakes in front. Then it will be taken to the owner's garage where he will do the rest...

Attachments:
firewall.jpg
firewall.jpg [ 62.97 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]
fapdisc.jpg
fapdisc.jpg [ 52.26 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]