'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inner Tie Rod Source?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am 

Does anyone have a source or part number for inner tie rods?
I've found Moog outer tie rods at Rock Auto for $24.40 Canadian, and rock auto has reasonable shipping to Canada,
They don't list the inner tie rod.

the only souce I've found is a front end kit on e bay but it seem too cheap to be decent quality.

I have a bad outer tie rod on my car, since I'm taking the front end apart it makes sense to change all tie rods.
the ball joints are ok but I'd replace them at the same time if I could find them.

1954 Country Squire

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:20 am 

I replaced all my tie rods, ball joints and bushings when I had the body off. I bought them from either Concourse or Mac's, I forget which.

'54 Skyliner, in progress

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm 

Hi Mark, Dennis Carpenter also has the inner tie rods pretty reasonable. You may not need new upper and lower ball joints, I have a print out test from ford and they show how to test the ball joints for ware. I have never found one that was worn out. I have friends and customers use the test and we have not found a bad ball joint. You probably need boots ,you can find them in polyurethane. If you don't need ball joints you can save a few hundred dollars. If you would like a copy of the test send me an e mail and I will send it to you. daverace@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:23 pm 

nascardave wrote:
Hi Mark, Dennis Carpenter also has the inner tie rods pretty reasonable. You may not need new upper and lower ball joints, I have a print out test from ford and they show how to test the ball joints for ware. I have never found one that was worn out. I have friends and customers use the test and we have not found a bad ball joint. You probably need boots ,you can find them in polyurethane. If you don't need ball joints you can save a few hundred dollars. If you would like a copy of the test send me an e mail and I will send it to you. daverace@sbcglobal.net
Anyway you could post that link to share it? Another word of advice lube the ball joints before you do the test, here are the boots http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/un ... -boots.asp They make a lot of things for our Fords but you have to measure for them. I used the sway bar bushings and links from them much better quality than stock http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/catalog.asp ( A little hint for the thrifty,if you take the part numbers and go to your local Pep Boys or Autozone they can usually have them overnight and save you cost of shipping) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am 

Thanks everyone,
I'll order the tie rods from Dennis Carpenter, they're easy to deal with and will ship to my US postal address. Shipping parts to Canada is a real problem often the shipping costs more than the parts!

Unfortunately my last transaction with Mac's ended with me telling them they will never get another dollar of mine, and I'm a man of my word. they're located less than an hours drive from my home, but it is a wasted trip if they can't find the parts.

I'll check on the ball joints, they're probably ok. One of the outer tie rods is loose and you can hear and feel it clunk when turning the wheel.

I like to fix things in pairs, we changed only one ball joint on a friend's BMW last summer because the other side appeared tight. when it broke he hit a guard rail :(

Thanks again.

1954 Country Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:10 pm 

AldeanFan wrote:
Thanks everyone,
I'll order the tie rods from Dennis Carpenter, they're easy to deal with and will ship to my US postal address. Shipping parts to Canada is a real problem often the shipping costs more than the parts!

Unfortunately my last transaction with Mac's ended with me telling them they will never get another dollar of mine, and I'm a man of my word. they're located less than an hours drive from my home, but it is a wasted trip if they can't find the parts.

I'll check on the ball joints, they're probably ok. One of the outer tie rods is loose and you can hear and feel it clunk when turning the wheel.

I like to fix things in pairs, we changed only one ball joint on a friend's BMW last summer because the other side appeared tight. when it broke he hit a guard rail :(

Thanks again.
It was in the news today that the tariff's went into effect today I wonder how that will affect auto parts prices for you ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 pm 

For those that are interested. Here is what Ford recommends how to test used ball joints.
Dave

Attachments:
Scan copy2.jpg
Scan copy2.jpg [ 169.72 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm 

Thanks Dave,
I replaced the outer tie rods with the Moog replacements I got from Rock Auto, and i've still got a clunk in the front end
The tie rods were definately shot so good thing I changed them but there's more to do.
I've got inner tie rods on the way from Carpenter, and I'll inspect the ball joints this weekend, I need the car on the road for Father's Day, it's a tradition that we all take the old cars to my parent's house for a Fathers Day BBQ.

1954 Country Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 pm 
Club President

I bought all my steering linkage from Kanter...about ten years ago.

It was excellent quality.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com