'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: heater hose routing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 pm 

Getting ready for spring, and because of a recent facebook post, I checked out the heater hoses on my stock '54 Mercury. I have a nos EVERHOT H981 vacuum operated heater control valve with upper and lower inlet/outlet hose fittings located at the manifold. I am not sure if the heater hose routing is correct from the manifold, water pump, control valve, and upper and lower heater box.

Logic suggests that it should be: water pump to control valve (which one - upper or lower?), then from the control valve to the upper heater box, then from the lower heater box to the intake. Any help on this?

Post subject: Re: heater hose routing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 am 
Forum Administrator

Lanny, hopefully someone that still has the original heater will be able to shed some light on your question, our wagon came heater delete so I can't be any help.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

Her's a picture at the box end. looking at the heater box from the front of the car, the hose that is attached to the intake manifold goes over the box to the far right of the heater box

The hose from the water pump goes to the bottom left of the heater box,

Attachments:
DSCN8679.JPG
DSCN8679.JPG [ 3.54 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 pm 

Thanks, Danny and Paul. Paul, in your pic, one heater hose appears to come up between the inner fender panel and cross over the fresh air inlet to the heater box, then (where the 2 hose clamps are) it seems that it reverses direction and goes to the upper heater box connection. Where is the vacuum operated water control valve located in this configuration?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am 

Attachment:
File comment: heater control valve
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg [ 5 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]
I think your valve that is like a ford should look like this see attachment if so let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

I looked all over and can't find the control valve. The shop manual shows it and it seems that I did see it once when I was working under the dash. The 54's did not have the one (at least in my car) that screws into the intake manifold like my 56 Bird. I suspect that it may be under the cover of the heater radiator but don't remember ever taking that cover off. Based on the shop manual, it may be located under the cover on the left side. I did replace the plenum and maybe that's where I saw the control valve.

lanny white wrote:
Thanks, Danny and Paul. Paul, in your pic, one heater hose appears to come up between the inner fender panel and cross over the fresh air inlet to the heater box, then (where the 2 hose clamps are) it seems that it reverses direction and goes to the upper heater box connection. Where is the vacuum operated water control valve located in this configuration?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am 

paul I think the one you seen under dash was the one controlled by the cable on heater control.I am pretty sure there were 2 be nice if he would put up pic :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm 

Barry and Paul, the valve that Barry posted the pic of being like the original Ford that screws into the manifold helps alot. The one I have is capped on the bottom (no thread) with right hand and left hand tees, with the upper one located directly under the vacuum hose tee connection. In looking at Paul's pic, its apparent that Ford utilized a different control valve assembly than the Merc.

On my valve, the lower tee connects to the intake with a short section of hose to an elbow screwed into the intake. The upper tee hose goes to the upper inlet to the heater box and the lower heater box hose goes to the water pump. In looking at Barry's pic, the water from the intake enters the valve at the bottom threaded pipe and exits to the heater when opened by the vacuum switch.

I am technically and digitally challenged, hence no pic but I think you both have helped with my original question.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:19 am 

glad we could help nice to see you acknowledge a lot do not bother.the valve I posted was a problem as they leaked and were and are still very expensive.a lot of time people would put in a simple on-off valve leaving the valve inside to somewhat control flow.the mercury pre release manual I have while not showing the engine valve shows the heater hose routing being like the ford with the vacuum line tied to the one heater hose and going to the heater like the ford.as I said this is what was proposed but was probably changed in production.hopefully Paul can be of more help with actual mercury routing.I wonder if there might be a site similar to this that is mercury oriented barry