'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: headlight switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:23 pm 

I'm in the process of switching from 6v to 12v and I want to keep it as original as possible. I've been told that the original headlight switch can be used as long as the rheostat is locked in the fully bright position. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks. Joe

Post subject: Re: headlight switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 pm 

i dont know i burnt mine up when i did my 12v swap so i couldnt tell you but i left my old one in the dash and went to napa and bought the same type double pull universal for 6 bucks and mounted under the dash were it fit in a dime size hole that was already there !just reach at the bottom of the dash and pull down!!it is labled way easier then trying to decifer the stock one !! just a thought !

54mainlinetim!!

"What are you talking about ill just swap the todor door body on the driving fordor it'll be easy!"(still not done)!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 am 

That is what I'm afraid of, I will have alot of nice new wiring in close proximity to that switch and I don't want a fire. On the other hand, the person who told me this works for one of the major restoration parts suppliers, but I'm still a little hesitant. I would like to hear from someone who did this and hasn't had a problem. I got a Ron Francis kit with his switch and no way will it work without butchering the dash. Thanks. Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:17 am 
Forum Administrator

I'm afraid the original switch is going to be the weak link in your wiring,,,I haven't tried to use the old switch myself but if the one supplied with the new wiring is too big I feel sure NAPA makes a smaller one.

The original blade,,on/off knob can usually be used with minor fab work.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm 

I have a stock switch in my car with 12 volts. Never has been a problem. Drive a lot at night. Remember, 12 volt cars use less amperage than the old six volt cars so any 6 volt switch should not be a problem on 12 volts. All my other switches are the old ones with 12 volts and zero problems.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 pm 
Club President

I had a 49 Ford Club Coupe that had all original switches and ran 12 volts. Never had a problem either. (it had the original flatty, but it was hopped up with headers, a cam, a polished aluminum intake, etc....black paint, with red pleated vinyl interior....way cool car)

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 am 
Forum Administrator

We started re-wiring in a 57 Chevy pickup with the American autowire kit last night and the first thing I noticed was the poor design of the original switch.

The owner of the pickup wanted to keep the original knobs,,my first job was to release the blade that the knob is attached and I slid a piece of tubing over the blade,clamped the old blade in the vice and after about three sharp blows the knob bounced across the shop floor.

The knob on this truck has a larger opening on the blade side than the blade,,,so I drill the side of the knob,tapped it and used a set screw,,,,presto,,,new switch,,old original look.

This could also be done with JB weld,,I just didn't have any handy,,,this evening before our CLUB MEETING viewtopic.php?f=14&t=151 , I will work on adding the original knob to the new wiper switch.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 am 

Thanks guys, that was just the feedback I was hoping for. Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm 

Thanks, I couldn’t decipher what you were all chatting about...12 years ago, great info though. I am rewiring my 54 Mercury Custom 70B, ran into the same issue!

I called Dennis-carpenter.com, they also told me the same thing “if you turn the rheostat to dim, your switch will go bad, otherwise, you should be fine.” I couldn’t get the correct answer from Mac’s.

3-days later and trying to retro everything, isn’t going to work.

Thanks for the post...great website/forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 am 

Meatcheezy wrote:
Thanks, I couldn’t decipher what you were all chatting about...12 years ago, great info though. I am rewiring my 54 Mercury Custom 70B, ran into the same issue!

I called Dennis-carpenter.com, they also told me the same thing “if you turn the rheostat to dim, your switch will go bad, otherwise, you should be fine.” I couldn’t get the correct answer from Mac’s.

3-days later and trying to retro everything, isn’t going to work.

Thanks for the post...great website/forum.
You could use a 1956 switch part # https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordpar ... =B7A-11654 hopefully this picture will post. You can use the '54 shaft and bezel.

Attachments:
rsz_1-oops.jpg
rsz_1-oops.jpg [ 56.03 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]