'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's out of the barn!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:41 pm 

The car was pulled from the barn today! Several revelations...

1) it appears the car was in the barn longer than originally thought. News papers in the trunk that the original hubcaps were wrapped in had a date of February 1971 and the only registration sticker on the windshield was a Pennsylvania sticker from 1970. The Neighbors also claimed that the car had already been in the barn when they bought their house 32 years ago.

2) It had been re-painted at some point before going into storage. Most of the rubber pieces that were attached to the body like hood and trunk gaskets and some rubber stand-offs had been painted as well. Seems like it was a bit sloppy. Not sure what the original paint was because the color code "T" on the patent plate is not listed as a color code on the information from the club website.

3) the engine is not seized! ... but the brakes are shot. I was in the drivers seat while we were backing it off the trailer. I found the brakes to not work so I popped the clutch while in 1st gear and the engine turned over! I know, not the nicest way to treat a 66-year-old drivetrain but it seemed like an emergency at the time. The brake fluid appears to have crystallized which means a completely new system, master cylinder to wheel cylinder.

4) Aside from the paint, it appears to be completely original. the Ford emblem looked like it was moulded into rubber of the footwell on the passenger's side. It still has the 6v positive-ground system and I was unfamiliar with something called an "oil-bath air filter" until today. All items made of rubber are either super soft and sticky (coolant hoses) or rock hard and brittle (everything else). The rubber of the flooring and the trunk liner basically shatter with anything more than a slight impact.

Unfortunately, squirrels got into the car to store butternuts from a nearby tree. This appears to be something that has started sometime over the last 6 years since the last time I saw the car and took pictures, there were no nuts. This means that the rear window sill behind the seats it now destroyed and maybe the glove-box as they both appeared to be made of some sort of paperboard. Also, the headliner has been mangled enough to require replacement. That's probably good though because there is braided-insulation wiring up in there that should probably be replaced.

So the next question is: can anyone point me toward some resources for vintage car parts, manuals, etc. that might be useful? I think that since this is so close to original condition, I would like to keep it that way if I can.

Photos:

Interior from 2014 https://photos.app.goo.gl/VGEbELja4bZPp5GY8
On Trailer today (2020) https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nd2y5syQhTott2ry5
Engine from today (2020) https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1iRR6ou5cchztGX9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:27 am 

You can find many manuals at themotorbookstore.com and parts from any of the vendors on the club vendor list. Macs probably has the largest selection, but also one of the highest priced. I like the frpartstore.com (formally listed as ford repro parts but changed the name over Ford being pissy). It pays to shop around on the ford clubs, ebay, craigslist, or just google.

Roly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:58 am 

For parts for my '54 Ranch Wagon my first choice is Concours Auto in Carson City, NV
https://concoursparts.com/
For manuals, etc. I use Faxon's Auto Literature in Riverside, CA
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/
Shoe Box Central also carries some '54 parts. I've bought some flathead stuff from them for the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Good people to deal with. IMHO.

There are other sources for both parts and manuals so I'm sure you'll get other suggestions as well. Car looks pretty solid. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 pm 

Some other sources for parts

C & G Ford parts
Green Sales
Early Ford V8 Sales

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am 

I bought wire harnesses from YnZ. Not cheap, but they look like the originals and come with complete instructions. When I decided to use the original power front seat they didn't have a harness so I sent them my old one and they copied it. https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

'54 Skyliner, in progress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 am 

X2 on YnZ's. Years ago I used to work with one of the owners, Gene. Good guy and excellent product. Again, not the cheapest but if you want exact high quality original wiring you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 am 

I can not add much to what others have said I just want to say that looks like a very good candidate for a new lease on life.do yourself a favour when looking for anything (parts etc)do not be afraid to ask here and elsewhere before sending your money.the manuals are available in reprint I would get the 52-53 and the 54 as both will answer most of your questions

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:52 pm 

Nice restorable car...One note of caution, those hood hinges are not the best even when new. oil the crap out of all the pivot points before something bends. New ones are expensive. The trunk hinges arent much better Good luck on the restoration

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 pm 

Before you start taking it apart take a thousand pictures, especially wire routing. If that is a dark green dash under the dust the closest match I could find is '68 Mustang "Bullitt" green.

Attachments:
DSC04446.JPG
DSC04446.JPG [ 281.49 KiB | Viewed 38 times ]

'54 Skyliner, in progress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 pm 

Ok. Thank you everyone! I have ordered the Ford shop manual for passenger cars 1952-1954. The next item is to find a temporary home for the winter as I was not expecting to take on this project so soon.

Questions:
1) What are people's thoughts on oil coating (fuid film) on a car this old? I don't plan on driving this in any winter or salty conditions but I am in the Northeastern US and pop-up rain showers are a thing here.
2) While washing her, I found some rust spots. What is the best way to handle those? One is a from a paint crack on the right side of the roof ~ 2 - 3 inches long. There are several spots on both sides along the bottom rocker panel area.
3) Someone I was talking to mentioned that he was working on an old car with gelled/crystallized brake fluid in the lines. He claimed he was able to flush out the old lines and they were fine. Is this a thing to try or should I just expect to replace everything?

So many more questions but I am trying to prioritize things and not get ahead of myself. Project Phase 1 is to prevent further deterioration. Phase 2 is get the 239ci V8 running again. Phase 3 is replace tires (and maybe rims) and get brakes working. Lights and any other mechanicals needed for safe operation. Phase 4 will be interior. Flooring to headliner. Phase 5 will be any remaining cosmetic items. I would also like to do as much rust-proofing as possible. Our previous car project stalled out when I got a new job. That was a 1980 Checker Marathon which was in the same barn as the Ford. Unfortunately, it was left to the elements and by the time I was able to come back to the project, rust had taken hold and I was fighting a losing battle. We decided to pull the plug and sell her to someone with the time and money to give her the love and attention she needed. The money from that sale will get this project started and I am trying to not make the same mistakes this time.

Picture:
After first wash and first coat of wax in almost 40 YEARS (another neighbor saw the car and recognised it. He said the owner had put it in the barn when he was a teenager, and he is now 54.)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gLHmAJZLZANatK3b6