'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:36 pm 

Greetings to all,

I am close to finishing up the re-assembly of the chassis and suspension. The frame is refinised, on a rotisserie. I have Grenada modified dropped spindles for the front end but I'm unsure what to do about the rear end. The engine to be installed will be a 5.0 / AOD. The stock rear end has a 4:11 gear. ( the tag says 45/11). I also have a Mustang II 8' rear end with 3:50 posi." In order to use the 8" I will have to fabricate new spring perches, purchase new axles because the current ones have been redrilled to fit a Chevy 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern, purchase new drums and use 9" brakes because the wheel was originally a 14". My Courier came with a beautiful set of 15" Torque Thrust wheels that I want to use.

So, Is there a good economical solution to this delima? Can I find or trade for a higher gear set for the stock rear end? is it worth using the OEM rear? The car ran well before I shut it down several years ago. Or is there anything I can do with the 8" to make use of it ? Maybe a trade?

Thanks for the help. :?

John L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Administrator

John...I'm running the stock rear axle in my tudor with a 5.0/AOD conversion.

At the advice of JeffB, I installed a Trans-Go, Hi-Rev kit to make the AOD shift properly with the stock rear axle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-AOD-HIREV

It involved dropping the valve-body out of the AOD, which scared the hell out of me, but once I did it, I realized it was no big deal at all.

I was looking to keep the bone-stock 15" 1954 steel wheels that came with the car, and this allowed me to do it.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 pm 

Hi Don,

What rear end do you have? I would be so happy to keep my stock rear end. Did you rebuild yours? New seals,etc..?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Administrator

John, I'm not an expert on the matter, but I believe that all of the V8 sedans like mine got 3:90 gears. (I could be wrong though).

And yes, I did change out all of the seals.

When I parked the car for the teardown, the rear axle was fine, and I didn't want to mess with it too much, so it got new seals and that's it.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm 

I think the tranny was the deciding factor in what gears it came with, not just the engine, but don't quote me on that. As far as the axles go, shouldn't the original stud holes still be in it? I would say press out the studs and put them in the correct holes, if possible. It might be easier also to relocate the perches on the axle tubes instead of new shackle mounts. The 8 inch is a good rearend also, I have one in mine, it hasn't exploded yet, and I'm running a stout 351 Cleveland. Maybe because it doesn't have any traction, I bet it wouldn't last long if it "hooked up" in a few hard launches!

1954 Skyliner 351 Cleveland/AOD with stall/4:11's/burnout machine/too bad it's a one-legger!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 am 

I thought I read somewhere that the couriers, wagons and police cars came with a spicer rear end with 3:54 gears. I know that is what was in my wagon. It is now a 57 9" with 2:79 gears behind a 390 & c6

1958 Airstream Tradewind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm 

The parts book lists several gear ratios, depending on whether it has overdrive, auto etc. The wagon and courier/SD have a different rearend - a Spicer Dana 44.
the book indicates: a standard ratio of 3.90:1 for the passenger cars with standard trans
4.10:1 for overdrive
3.31:1 or 3.54:1 for an automatic trans

The wagons , couriers etc have : 4.09:1 for standard trans
4.27:1 with overdrive
3.31:1 or 3.51:1 for the automatics.

These numbers came out of the Canadian Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalogue 49-54. American cars are probably the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies. My Courier had a 3 spd tranny w/o overdrive. I think it had the 4:10 gear but now I'm not so sure. What info can I provide to you guys to ascertain what it is that I really have? I have the original tag that was on the axle and it says "45/11". The Vin tag says: Serial No U4KS122745, 78A-A-AA-20C-DN1259A.

I checked out the drums and they appear to be within specs. So, what would be a good way to go? I'm looking for the most economical and yet safe way to go.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:09 pm 

John

The ratio for you courier with standard trans is 4.09:1. Not far off your claimed 4.10:1. You wouldn't be able to tell the differnce between the two without tearing the rear end apart and counting the teeth on the ring gear. Google ' determining rear end gear ratio" and you will find several methods ( fairly accurate) of finding the ratio. This involves counting the revolutions of the driveshaft and the tire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 pm 

So it appears that the stock rear end that I have is a Dana 44 with 4.09 gear. To the post about the 8", did you have to fabricate new spring perches and modify the bottom bracket that the U bolts and the shock go through? The 8" I have has a tapered axle housing.

I really appreciate the info.

John L