'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire size?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 am 

Good day to all,
Presently have 225/75/15 's on Club Coupe. To remove rear tires one has to remove air and then go through a real deal to get them off. Flat on the open road and I would have to call a tow truck. Any suggestions as to what size would eliminate the problem and still give a safe ride.?

Post subject: Re: Tire size?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am 

I purchased 6.70/15s for my Customline because it was designated on the glove box decal and I wanted bias ply tires with the original look. In driving and testing the odometer, the actual reading shows 5% further than I am actually driving. I think I should have gone slightly larger to make it correct. No trouble removing these tires. I don't know much about tire sizes but didn't they make a 7.10/15?
Maybe someone else has tire experience on the 54s.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 pm 
Club President

Believe it or not, my 54 had the factory original 6.70x15 bias plys on it when I bought it.

They were 30 years old at the time, so literally the first place I drove it to was the tire shop where they fitted it with radials. In hindsight, I should've kept one of the original tires to hang on the wall.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 am 

Don,
My Customline has, what I believe to be the original spare tire in the trunk.
It is a BF Goodrich 6.7 x 15 Silvertown. Do you know if Ford put these on the cars when they were new?
(This is a Canadian car, which might make a difference)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:00 am 

Because 1952-54 Fords have a shallow rear wheel well if you switch to a 75 series tire you may have problems removing and installing them. The old 670 X 15 was an 85 series tire so the section width of the tire is narrower which allows changing the tire easier. So another issue is the original wheels standard offset,if in the future you want to convert to disc brakes consider locating the 15" wheels from a mid 80's early 90's Crown Victoria these will clear the disc brakes and because they have a more positive offset they clear the wheel well better. Another issue is the length of the shocks, when I changed the old shocks for newer Gabriel shocks that are listed for the '54 the tire would not go back in so I pulled the new shock and compared it extended and collapsed length to the old OEM shock the new shocks were almost 2" shorter. You can read my solution in this link: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266348

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:42 pm 

I am running 215 x 75 x 15 radials on my stock rims on all 4 corners without rear fender skirts on my fordor crestline. other than the obvious to jacking up the frame to install the rear tire/rim combo, there are no issues with interference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm 

My car currently has 205/75/15 nexen tires. No rubbing in the fender skirts. Will go back to 6.70-15 bias ply's on my next tire change.