'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power windows
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:23 am 

Does anyone know where the circuit breakers are located on a 1954 2 door hardtop would be located. My control switch on thr drivers door suddenly stopped working. I am going to replace the relay on the cowl, the one connected to the ignition switch but I don't know if it is defective. I am sure my window regulators are good,

Post subject: Re: Power windows
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 am 

If my memory serves me correctly, it is located under the dash, to the left of the steering column. Also, there is a panel in the engine compartment on the cowl in front of the driver. There is a fuse on that panel. I forget if it is related, but check it out. (located near the 2nd solenoid)

However - From your post it appears that your other windows work - correct? If so, the problem would seem to be in that driver's side switching or the regulator itself. One thing you could do is to remove the chrome box that contains the four switches (driver's side) and move the driver-side wires to one of the other switches. If it then works you might have a defective switch. (at that point, plug in one of the other windows to see if they now work or don't to verify) If the window still doesn't work it would seem to point to the power regulator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 am 

No none of the window motors work but were working. It's as if a fuse was blown but all the fuses on the cowl are ok.I checked the fuse under the front panels near the ignition switch (I don't know what it is to) but it's ok. It seems all power to the main window switch has been interrupted somewhere.I can't find any power loss to anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:49 am 

last year when I installed the factory PW setup in my car Alan Freeman was a huge help.with his info he supplied I mounted the circuit breakers behind the drivers side kick panel.this is where they were mounted when PWs were installed.before I go that route I would check that the solenoid is getting power.than check that it is working and sending power to CBs as there are 4 separate breakers.not very likely all 4 went bad at once.post your findings for further help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:50 pm 

The solenoid was the problem. Replaced the old solenold and bingo power windows back on. Thanks for the suggestions all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 am 

glad to help next time bear in mind that the solenoid is a special one.it is designed for constant duty .again I want to thank Alan for the information