'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 pm 
Club President

Time to start up the 2017 Challenge.

The history of these challenges goes back to 2010 with me, Danny (hotrod primer) and a few others challenging each other to get projects out of being stuck in mothballs and turned into running, driving cars.

Danny's wagon is not only running and driving, but is also stunningly beautiful.

My tudor is running and driving but still in primer. I have put over 7,000 miles on it since putting it back on the road and do plan on it getting a shiny paint job but my focus for this year will be to get it ready for the long, multiple day trip to the 2018 Convention (more on that soon).

My goals for this year include:

- New rearend (preferably a 9" Ford)
- Finished interior (refurbished seats, door panels, headliner)
- Front bumper straightened and installed
- Proper front end alignment
- Door, trunk and hood gaps improved
- New door seals
- Smaller carburetor (I'm moving my 600 cfm Edelbrock over to my 66 F100 and will put a 500 on my 54 Ford)
- Fix gas gauge
- Air conditioning

Very doable.

I'm toying around with a 24 Model T Touring right now but I'll have that where I want it before March is over. Then it's over to the 54 Ford to start tackling my list.

I'll post updates here on this thread.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: 2017 Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm 
Club President

So....the Challenge is out there.

Who wants to join me?

Anyone want to take on the challenge of getting a stalled project on the road, or finishing some aspect of your car that's been on the back burner?

We'd love to see your updates here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Forum Administrator

To be honest all I need to do to the wagon is change the oil,since I got the car on the road we have racked up a little over 15,000 miles and I have a couple of hot rods that see regular use also.

Don's challenge is what it took to get me inspired,I encourage any of you who has a project that has stalled to post a photo of your car and share progress no mater how small,believe me when you post and other members read and support your efforts it is very gratifying.

I can't tell you how many times other members comments kept me going.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:38 pm 

I will join, of course. Wasn't able to do anything to the '54 in 2016, but I have better prospects this year.

I was inspired by Don's itemized list above to make one of my own:

1. Do something to the car.

What do you guys think?

Keep me accountable by following me at http://54Customline.blogspot.com!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm 

Count me in! I purchased my '54 Fordor last year and finally got it moved to my shop in early winter. I do need to get the title put in my name yet, so that's sorta a priority (I have the title in hand, but the fellow passed away and I need to get together with the family who sold it to me through a third party! Fun times.

Work completed, degunked motor mostly, down to pan, pan is back on. I also rebuilt the carb, otherwise just going to clean things up and try and get it running. Will have to rebuild fuel pump, which should prove interesting with no rebuild kits turning up yet. Gonna cobble something together. My goal for the year is to get the car running safely in 2017 and replace the rockers, which will be my first real welding repair. If things go well I'll redo the seats this year as well, I have a pair of commercial sewing machines so I may try to find suitable materials and tackle that myself. I did purchase the spare motor and the intent is to restore that for an eventual restoration. I know it's a 4 door, but I want to do it and keep the car, not flip it for profit, so I don't see any reason not to save a 4 door. There will be tons of small projects in the process of course.

1954 Ford Customline Fordor
AACA Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm 
Club President

Great to have you aboard Doug.

Please post photos as you go....we love photos.

As for the 4-door thing....there were exactly zero four doors at our last convention. Like the Mainlines and wagons, the four-doors were used up and thrown away, or used for parts for the more flashy models. Now they're getting scarce and are very cool to see being saved.

I was considering a wagon if I do another 54 Ford, but I'm also considering a totally optioned 4 door. You just don't see that many of them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm 

I was lucky to get a car in pretty nice condition already. But the cars and work I've seen in these threads amaze me.

Anyway, here's what I need to do:

1) Change the convertible hydraulic pump lines (I bought a set last month and one of the lines failed while refilling with fluid and spewed everywhere). I put the old ones back on, but there is a slow leak and the motor will eventually start slowing down again.

2) Get turn signals functioning

3) Get electronic seat functioning

4) Get some Aux or Bluetooth working on my radio

5) Some other small odds and ends

Probably won't be this year:
Reverse lights, Spotlight/side mirror, Coronado kit, Vintage A/C, Buy a house w/ a 3 car garage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm 
Club President

Fortissimowah wrote:
I was lucky to get a car in pretty nice condition already. But the cars and work I've seen in these threads amaze me.

Anyway, here's what I need to do:

1) Change the convertible hydraulic pump lines (I bought a set last month and one of the lines failed while refilling with fluid and spewed everywhere). I put the old ones back on, but there is a slow leak and the motor will eventually start slowing down again.

2) Get turn signals functioning

3) Get electronic seat functioning

4) Get some Aux or Bluetooth working on my radio

5) Some other small odds and ends

Probably won't be this year:
Reverse lights, Spotlight/side mirror, Coronado kit, Vintage A/C, Buy a house w/ a 3 car garage

Sounds do-able!

We'd love to see some photos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am 

I'm working on getting the '54 Customline Wagon up and running. Here are my current goals:
  • Drain and replace the fluids.
  • Remove the plugs and squirt some kind of oil in each cylinder (Y Block 239)
  • Turn the engine by hand
  • Check belts, hoses, tires, etc.
  • Check the brakes
  • Try to recondition the existing battery with a 6v Battery Minder
  • Clean and reinstall the air cleaner
  • Start the beast

Any thoughts on other things I should do prior to trying to start it? If I can get it driving in the next few months, I'll start to look at the next steps. I'm planning on installing seatbelts (former firefighter/EMT and I don't care if seatbelts aren't original), and maybe swapping out the master cylinder for a dual.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm 

Today was more of a clean up day, but I got my spare 239 mounted to my new engine stand and posed it in front of the car. I tightened up the oil pan and took off and cleaned the fuel pump. I'm going to have to see about finding parts comparable enough to rebuild it. I might get motivated enough to look into making my own rebuild kit for the pump as it seems to be one year only and simply replaced with a different unit as time had gone on.

THE NEXT DAY:
I had a few hours this morning so I managed to wrestle with the snow tires and craw far enough back to unlatch the truck. Now I can put my new cylinder in, and I hope to do so tonight. Truck in general looked in fair shape. The spare and jack instructions were in tact, though stained. One rust through area I'll need to patch right away for safety but otherwise I like what I see back there. The troughs around the truck seal are in good shape as well.

Attachments:
rsz_img_20170331_155840.jpg
rsz_img_20170331_155840.jpg [ 124.96 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

1954 Ford Customline Fordor
AACA Judge