'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Challenge
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm 

Well, javnt posted in awhile, been packing up for a move and trying to get a new job at a better company, but I have gotten the lines all done, just have to fix a leak in the back where the y union is, or whatever it's actually called haha. Hope to have it back on the road today. Also have to pay the registration which is 2 months expired. California is not kind about it either charging me the maximum late fee.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm 

Rustyfords wrote:
Replaced the Edelbrock 600 carb with a 500 cfm carb.

I'll report back on how it performs.

Very nice, you like it so far? I really like how that carb looks.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 pm 
Club President

Zarvic wrote:
Rustyfords wrote:
Replaced the Edelbrock 600 carb with a 500 cfm carb.

I'll report back on how it performs.

Very nice, you like it so far? I really like how that carb looks.

I love it....one of the best/easiest improvements I've made since I rebuilt this car.

It's peppier now, isn't running rich anymore and even has a more "rumbly" exhaust note....although I don't know how the exhaust note could've been influenced by the smaller carb.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm 

Glad you like it, I have no idea what I got on mine, will have to look at it again, but that's really awesome, I wonder how it could affect the exhaust noise. I finally got all the brake lines on and am just struggling with the supposed to be easiest part.. bleeding the damn brakes, back was easy enough had my share of fits stripping the breeders then I got to the front... passenger side took some effort and curses and I cannot seem to get anything to for on the driver side. There is no room to get a wrench around the bleeder.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 am 

Zarvic wrote:
Glad you like it, I have no idea what I got on mine, will have to look at it again, but that's really awesome, I wonder how it could affect the exhaust noise. I finally got all the brake lines on and am just struggling with the supposed to be easiest part.. bleeding the damn brakes, back was easy enough had my share of fits stripping the breeders then I got to the front... passenger side took some effort and curses and I cannot seem to get anything to for on the driver side. There is no room to get a wrench around the bleeder.
When working with bleeders or any line connection to avoid stripping you should be using these: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-metr ... 61357.html they come in metric and SAE good thing I have both when I got my new wheel cylinders for my '54 two were metric and two were SAE this hands down is by far the best brake bleeder I have ever used. https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-flu ... 92924.html It works off your air compressor it actually worked so good when I did my brake overhaul and added a dual master and new lines in 106 degree Phoenix heat I must have had a Senior moment and a few too many PBR's because when I got every thing buttoned up I remembered I didn't bench bleed the new master so I thought what the heck I'll try bleeding it any way it pulled the air so fast after I did the rears first I didn't pull any air from the front and the master was bled as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I redid the lines going to the back so you bet I got myself some flare wrenches haha. And like I said I was able to bleed all the brakes except the driver side in the front. I cannot access the bleeder with any wrench or even sockets I have, even tried some vise grips in a desperate effort just to get it open. But I didn't have any air in the front passenger side. Also the brake pedal feels stiff and is not spongy in the least big. I can also feel and hear the brakes activating when the pedal was stepped on. I think I may be good but feel like I shouldn't chance it. Just can't seem to get to that damn bleeder.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm 

Did you try it with the wheel off/ You usually get very good access that way.

I got the same brake setup on my 56 Bird and have been able to bleed it.

Zarvic wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I redid the lines going to the back so you bet I got myself some flare wrenches haha. And like I said I was able to bleed all the brakes except the driver side in the front. I cannot access the bleeder with any wrench or even sockets I have, even tried some vise grips in a desperate effort just to get it open. But I didn't have any air in the front passenger side. Also the brake pedal feels stiff and is not spongy in the least big. I can also feel and hear the brakes activating when the pedal was stepped on. I think I may be good but feel like I shouldn't chance it. Just can't seem to get to that damn bleeder.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 pm 

Yeah I had the wheels off, didn't even bother trying with them on, didn't want to hurt myself squeezing around the tires. The bleeder is in a real bad spot. Couldn't get anything on it to turn it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 pm 

I'll jump in on the challenge,
2017 Goals for the Country Squire include:

Power Disk Brakes
Replace the 239 with the rebuilt 292 I acquired over the winter
Install speakers in the kick panels and rear panels
Fabricate/install a trailer hitch so I can tow my racecar to the track

1954 Country Squire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 pm 

So I haven't made much progress. I decided to do the head gaskets while I was doing just about every other gasket and found out my exhaust manifold is cracked/broken. A corner is broke off all the way to the runner. Local weld shop "doesn't do that work anymore". I might just find another set and keep mine for a rainy day project. Hoping to have it running and moving by fall, we'll see how the schedule holds up.

1954 Ford Customline Fordor
AACA Judge

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next