'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 pm 

Hey,

Looking for some guidance here.
us
I started noticing a small puddle behind the passenger door and getting the top back up started getting slower and slower, until it wouldn't make it up. Everything I read seemed to say it was a leaky hose.

I found transmission fluid used by Ford in Pre-74s, but I later found out that Brake Fluid was probably used originally. And when buying new pumps, you can have them filled with either. So, how horrible is it if I mixed them?

Anyways, in the process of bleeding the air, one of the hoses failed and sprayed transmission fluid everywhere. I returned them and decided I'd look for hoses elsewhere. I put the old hoses on and now I get even bigger puddles, but on the driver side - so I'm thinking the hose is the problem.

Any suggestions on good hoses? Maybe the one I got was just a fluke? Do I need a whole new system if I mixed fluids? I'm not 100% sure what fluid was originally in.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:29 pm 

Don't use brake fluid! It eats the paint. If I were you, I'd drain the entire system and use hydraulic fluid. I believe transmission fluid will work, but the hydraulic fluid is safer on the hoses in the long run.
Try draining the system, reinstall and have the back floor seat out. See where it is leaking. It might be just a bad connection. Towels are a very handy thing to have around when doing it! Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 pm 

Go to a manufacturer of hydraulic hoses (yellow pages?). They should be able to make up new hoses. Some auto parts stores make up hoses.

I use trans fluid in my 48 conv. Stuff has been in there 20 + years without a problem ( I have original hoses out of a 60's Ford that I scrounged up from a junk yard)

As Andy said, purge the system to get all the brake fluid out and then refill. Either hydraulic fluid or ATF should work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:31 am 

I can't remember - Isn't there a slotted drain screw on the lower portion of the canister? If so, check the washer. Could be leaking there. Also, check for O rings on the connections. Just random thoughts.