'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vacuum lines
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am 

Hope all you Texans are beginning to recover somewhat, our prayers are coming your way.

I'm having trouble with the vacuum wipers on my '54 Merc (stock 256 with dual action fuel pump). The wiper motor is a rebuilt but was in the box for years before install. I did not lube it and is probably really dried out. My primary question is which vacuum tube on the fuel pump goes to the wipers, the one between the pump and the block or the one at the outside? Also, what should the vacuum read at the connection between the steel line and rubber line near the carb?

I have attempted to get some Mystery Oil down the vacuum line to the wiper motor but apparently without success. How much should I squirt into the line without making a big ol' mess inside? I hope to avoid having to remove the radio and the the wiper motor.

Post subject: Re: vacuum lines
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 pm 

To get fluid into the wiper motor, you have to put the fluid (atf, dot 3 etc) in a container, then dip the hose from the wiper into the container and manually work the wiper blades back and forth so the fluid will get sucked up into the wiper motor - it's best to have a helper on the other wiper blade. Let stand overnight and then turn the wipers on. It may smoke for a while when you start the car, but it will go away.

Make sure you put something on the carpet underneath the wiper unit to catch any possible drips.

Can't help on the vacuum lines - none of my cars have stock wipers/

Post subject: Re: vacuum lines
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

Thanks, Paul, I'll get out a can of brake fluid and pump the wipers and definitely cover the carpet.