'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm 

Hi,

I'm in need of some measurements from those of you whose cars are in one piece. I'm about to start working on a new radiator core support but naturally I didn't take any measurements when I blew the front end apart years ago. I don't have the hood on, nor do I want to put it on to try and align my dented and probably tweaked fenders. So instead, if you guys can give me some reference points for what the measurements of an assembled car should be, I think I can go from there.

For example, I'm thinking I could use the exact (or nearly exact) distance between any two pairs of bolts holding the outer front fenders and the inner front fenders together (at the top, where the hood closes). Or two reference points on the stock core support. You get the idea - I'm just looking for the proper overall width of the core support so that the gaps between the closed hood and front sheet metal are decent.

Please post measurements or PM me if you are able. The more, the merrier - I can just go with the average measurements if I get multiple responses.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Keep me accountable by following me at http://54Customline.blogspot.com!

Last edited by PaddycakeFTW on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 pm 

See the colored pairs of reference points in the pic below. Measurements between those points would be perfect. Thanks again. -Eric

Attachments:
File comment: 54 front end
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG [ 184.99 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 pm 

Here's what mine measured

blue - 27 1/4

green 41 1/8

couldn't get a good measure on the red as radiator was in the way

If something seems out of whack in these, let me know and I will recheck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 am 

if you find the brace that goes between the front aprons (it looks like a rod with the ends flattened)this will eliminate you having to measure.leave it loose as with any parts there is not a lot of room of play with.most cars will have a slight difference in measurements they were built on a moving assembly line they will be close.good luck I had mine apart for 22 years parts were everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:00 am 

Paul - Thank you very much, sir! That's just what I needed to get started.

Barry - I do have that brace, but as I recall it bolts to the U-shaped stock core support and mine has been modified such that the bolt holes are gone. Good idea, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

may I suggest you take a piece of flat bar and use it.if you use pauls measurements and use it on top of apron panels it will help to keep the panels constant.drill the hole in flat bar 3/8 to allow some movement then tighten when it measures the same as pauls.I mean using the blue circled spots.you can use if drilling is something you do not want to do.I am pretty sure the bolts are 1/4 so 3/8 will allow 3/16 either way if my math is right

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm 

Thanks Barry, that's pretty much the plan. I'll tie the existing front end together to check/confirm all measurements, then start building the new core support separately and try to get everything close. I was thinking the same thing about drilling the holes slightly larger to allow for a little wiggle room. I'll make sure to take and post pictures of the progress in the 2017 Challenge thread.