'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 pm 

Greetings, I hope everyone is having a great summer.
I am in need of some help with a dual action fuel pump for my 54 Customline with the 239. I fired her up today and saw a puddle. There is a small crack in the fuel pump housing so it looks like rebuilding is not an option. seems odd that it cracked just above the AC stamp in that cove (see attached photo).

Any one have one they don't need that I can buy? I am happy with a rebuildable one too. Any help would be much appreciated.

Be Well, Bill

Attachment:
fuel pump web sized photo.jpg
fuel pump web sized photo.jpg [ 156.07 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 pm 

My understanding that a 55 and later pump will work, but you need to sleeve the mounting holes in the pump because the 55's and up used a bigger bolt. Lines most likely will have to modified although the line for the tank looks to be in the same position as yours.

This is what I heard, no experience doing it.

How bad is the crack - it it leaking fuel - or oil? Does it work otherwise? Can something like JB Weld be used to fix the crack?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm 

Thanks Paul274854 for the reply.
It is leaking fuel but still works fine. There is a chance JB weld could work & I may have to go that way if all other options fail. I had heard that the 55 pump could work too, so I will look at that as well if I can't find a correct 54 pump. Hal Houghton with Classic Preservation Coalition has a rebuild kit for the 54 dual pumps, so I was hoping to rebuild a core if I can find one.
Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 am 

I have to tell you guys this story. I have a Massey-Ferguson tractor that sat for five years because i cracked the block on due to overheating. It is cast iron and I waited for my welding instructor to show up to weld it. Never did. My good friend told me I should use JB Weld, which I told him would never work, but I had nothing to lose.
I cleaned it really, really well and put it on in a couple of different layers. It worked like a charm.
If you can find a new one, I agree that's the best way to go, but honestly - follow my buddies' advice and give it a shot. Nothing to lose!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am 

look closely at the crack it may be a casting mark.the real leak may be coming from the diaphragm or the line going into the pump.be very careful and using 2 wrenches to check the line is tight.this only a suggestion as I find it hard to believe the housing would crack after all this time as it is not a stressed item where the crack seems to be.Paul is right about the 55 pump using larger bolts.it has been a long time but I believe the 55 dual action pump has the vacuum boost lines at the top as the 54 are on bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 pm 

Good day Andy & Barry,
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate input as I fumble my way thru maintaining my '54.
I cleaned any dirt an oil from the cove where the fuel was coming from (it was dry above the cove and at the seals) and found the cast metal did have an odd pushed up piece & crack . See photo. It looks like something from inside the pump was pushing through the housing. As I have not opened one of these up, I have no clue if that's a reasonable possibility. Either way, it's a hole and fuel is come out.
No luck on a replacement '54 pump yet (yes I am one of those that want to keep the old girl original if I can) so as was mentioned, I'll give some JB Weld a try for a temporary repair. I will keep searching for a correct pump as well.

I do have another question about these pumps? I have seen them with the short rocker arm (about 2-3") and a longer rocker arm ( about 6"). Which one should I have on my engine? It's a mostly original '54 Customline with the Fordomatic and a 239 y-block. No power brakes nor power steering. I am trying not to pull it off the motor until I have to. I have heard it can be a challenge to reinstall the rocker arm onto the cam properly.

Attachment:
fuel pump crack sml.jpg
fuel pump crack sml.jpg [ 128.28 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]

Thanks for all the wisdom.
Be Well, Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 pm 

Never seen a Yblock with an arm as short as you mentioned.

It's not that bad to install a fuel pump. You just have to make sure that you angle the arm down as it rides on the underneath of the eccentric. If there is a lot of pressure to mate the pump to the mount, turn the engine over a little bit as the eccentric may be at it's lowest point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 am 

The '54 V8 takes the longer arm while the 6 cylinder takes the shorter. Also, the trucks take the shorter arm. Be very careful as you look through E-bay as the seller doesn't necessarily know what they are selling and you have to do your homework. For instance, there are a couple of '54s listed for a Meteor right now, but check carefully, as the '54 Meteor used the '53 flathead rather than our V8 (both known as 239s to make it more confusing). I haven't checked for sure, but would bet money it isn't correct for ours, even though it has the longer arm.
Use the JB Weld, take your time and one will show up. I'll be in Hershey next month and will keep an eye out. You also have the option of going to an electronic fuel pump which can be hidden in the back, but it still requires a non-leaking, but not necessarily working front pump.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 am 

I have a couple, but I'm out of state right now and will be until the end of Oct. If you have a lead on rebuild kits I'll trade you a kit for a rebuildable pump.

'54 Skyliner, in progress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am 

GAmes wrote:
I have a couple, but I'm out of state right now and will be until the end of Oct. If you have a lead on rebuild kits I'll trade you a kit for a rebuildable pump.

Now, that's a good deal! :)