'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 am 

I am going through my parts and found an NOS turn signal wiring kit. It includes the round metal section that goes around the steering wheel along with about 20 wires. My underside of the dash leaves much to be desired and I thought I'd try to use it.
However....the kit is marked "FAD-18440-B for all 1952-53 Passenger vehicles". I'm a bit under the weather and not interested in tracing wires at the moment. Does anyone know if there were major differences between the '53 and '54 with regard to this wiring? I certainly understand the differences between the main harness and the under-dash lighting as the dashboards were totally different. It just seems that this might be close, as there is not a lot going on with regards to turn signals. Has anyone by chance run into this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 am 

The wiring diagram I have shows that the 1952-53 have the same wiring color codes as the '54 does these color codes stayed the same through the 1960's so you shouldn't have any issues only the shape of the dash is different. In my Ford group we have had guys swap out '54 dashes for the 52-53's to get rid of the "bubble dome" so they can swap to the Custom aftermarket gauge sets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the great answer Jeff - never realized that guys did such a swap. Which, just for the fun of knowing, can a 1954 Mercury dashboard be swapped out as well? Those dashboard are so neat with the jet/airplane levers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am 

Andy I am pretty sure it can be done as our meteors used a mercury dash and different grille some other little differences.forgot to mention our 54 also had the flathead in 54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:05 am 

ajochum wrote:
Thanks for the great answer Jeff - never realized that guys did such a swap. Which, just for the fun of knowing, can a 1954 Mercury dashboard be swapped out as well? Those dashboard are so neat with the jet/airplane levers.
Yes it can,had a member in my 1952-59 Group do it a couple years ago. There was a model of a Canadian Ford that actually came that way I saw pictures of it on Hemmings several months back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am 

Got to tell you, if I were doing a custom, I'd go for it!

Attachments:
Merc dash.jpg
Merc dash.jpg [ 10.49 KiB | Viewed 54 times ]
Merc dash2.jpg
Merc dash2.jpg [ 9.3 KiB | Viewed 54 times ]