'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas tk problems.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 am 

Coming home from a car show Saturday, my gas Gage read, almost 1/2 tank. motor stopped and there I sat. Three hours later a wrecker showed up. This morning I put 5 gallons from a can, it started right up. I'm thinking the Gage lied to me, I go to the gas station and it will only hold another 5 gallons and it was full. Gas Gage reads full. Skyliner has a 18 gallon tank, right. Some where along the 8 gallon range there must be a hole, in the pick up tube. I've never had a tank off so are there any thoughts out there. I would like to go to Memphis next year, and at 16 miles to the gallon that's a lot of stops. Cliff

Post subject: Re: Gas tk problems.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 pm 

Have you ever had the tank out?

Two possible reasons.

One, there is junk in the tank and it covered the outlet and shut off the gas. Later, the junk came off and it was able to suck gas again.

Two, the flex hose from the line to the fuel pump has developed an internal blockage and under pressure it stopped the gas. After the pressure was off, the gas flowed again.

Three, the vent on the gas cap may have gotten plugged. 54's used a vented cap. You need this vent to equalize the vacuum in the tank so the gas will be sucked up.. When this happens, there is usually a whooose when the cap is removed.

Yes, I almost forgot the third one.

In addition, it might not be a fuel problem but an electrical problem Bad or going bad distributor condenser or a coil.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 am 

Thanks i'll check these.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 am 

Attachment:
rsz_ethanol.png
rsz_ethanol.png [ 263.88 KiB | Viewed 75 times ]
Bad condensers have been showing up on a lot of Ford forums the off shore ones seem to be junk in many cases if your car ran good before you did a tune up only change the points and keep your OEM condenser or try to find a genuine Ford unit or an American made part might get lucky on ebay. If your car had been sitting a while before you got it running you may have varnish and crud formations from Ethanol in the lines and the tank. This picture shows an Edelbrock Carb that had sat for 8 months with Ethanol left in it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm 

There is no condenser or points. I installed electronic ignition several years ago, but thanks I would not have put the two together.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 am 

CLIFF KENNEDY wrote:
There is no condenser or points. I installed electronic ignition several years ago, but thanks I would not have put the two together.
you might want to look at some of these discussions if your electronic is Pertronix https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... YQXXWgV52g