'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

Decided to investigate internal condition of the Fordomatic. First stop is the torque converter - it appears to be in decent shape, but discovered a few loose vanes in the pump housing and several show signs of minor contact with the turbine. Obviously the loose vanes and contact with turbine, however minor, would not be conducive to long term reliability. I'm guessing that this condition as, a minimum, would indicate the need fix the loose vanes and new thrust washer(s). Note that the condition of the removed transmission fluid (dirty grey) indicates it's been many miles since seeing new fluid! Specific questions are 1)How to fix the loose vanes, or would the pump housing assembly have to be replaced, and, 2) where to obtain new thrust washers (Mac's has a lot of stuff, but not these)?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 pm 

Because I know zero about automatics I took mine to a local shop. They told me Thursday they are sending the TC out for rebuild and would phone me the estimate. I got the feeling it wouldn't be cheap.

'54 Skyliner, in progress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:52 pm 

gwames41 wrote:
Decided to investigate internal condition of the Fordomatic. First stop is the torque converter - it appears to be in decent shape, but discovered a few loose vanes in the pump housing and several show signs of minor contact with the turbine. Obviously the loose vanes and contact with turbine, however minor, would not be conducive to long term reliability. I'm guessing that this condition as, a minimum, would indicate the need fix the loose vanes and new thrust washer(s). Note that the condition of the removed transmission fluid (dirty grey) indicates it's been many miles since seeing new fluid! Specific questions are 1)How to fix the loose vanes, or would the pump housing assembly have to be replaced, and, 2) where to obtain new thrust washers (Mac's has a lot of stuff, but not these)?

My torque converter hub was chipped and I searched all over for one this Spring. I found one in Florida, but it turned out to be incorrect. NascarDave pointed me in the direction of this guy in California and he is a gem. His number is 626 350 1001 or 818 246 7788. Great guy - he probably has whatever you need, but be careful as there were a couple of different ones for our car. Be sure to send him a photo and take accurate measurements so you get the right one. Mine ran around $100.
Not sure if that's what you need but he has other stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm 

Thanks for the information!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 pm 

Try this company for parts www.fatsco.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm 

Just to close this out on my end - I did go to fatsco.com - they had and I bought a used converter housing that was correct and in good condition; also, purchased a rebuild kit and replaced all the seals. The fellow I dealt with at fatsco was really helpful and easy to talk to, shipping also was prompt!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:17 pm 

I don't hesitate to rebuild an engine, but transmissions are voodoo magic to me. I sent mine out for rebuild and spent considerably more than you did. They were able to score some NOS bands.

'54 Skyliner, in progress