'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm 

Whyblock54 wrote:
Jeff B wrote:
If you want to wake up the ignition give this a look. https://www.ebay.com/p/PerTronix-91282- ... 1417843849 Some of the guys here may share their testimonials.

I think I'm going to keep it 6 volt for now, just got a new 6v battery for it

I'm using Pertronix on my 6v. Works well. However, as some can attest, while there are no adjustments, if it ever quits, you are out of business. It is rare and usually the fault of the driver (happened to me - my fault).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 pm 

ajochum wrote:
Whyblock54 wrote:
Jeff B wrote:
If you want to wake up the ignition give this a look. https://www.ebay.com/p/PerTronix-91282- ... 1417843849 Some of the guys here may share their testimonials.

I think I'm going to keep it 6 volt for now, just got a new 6v battery for it

I'm using Pertronix on my 6v. Works well. However, as some can attest, while there are no adjustments, if it ever quits, you are out of business. It is rare and usually the fault of the driver (happened to me - my fault).

Im thinking about something like that. I'm really trying to stick with mods that were possible in the early to mid 60's , something my dad would have done as a teen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm 

The intake showed up today, intake has EBY on it ;) It is the carb that is stamped other letters. Now just need to clean it all up and rebuild carb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm 

You can use a Mercury 256 intake 9425-D. I have mount it on my 54 Skyliner and 239 engine. It needs a spacer plate between carb and intake because I have a Edelbrook 1404-500 carb. Works very good and + 30 HP.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:52 am 

speedbj wrote:
You can use a Mercury 256 intake 9425-D. I have mount it on my 54 Skyliner and 239 engine. It needs a spacer plate between carb and intake because I have a Edelbrook 1404-500 carb. Works very good and + 30 HP.

Nice! Are you running headers?

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:40 am 

Whyblock54 wrote:
speedbj wrote:

Larry
To use a later Edelbrock or Holley Carb with an adapter this will create an issue as these do not have the vacuum port to work with the 239's Load-O-Matic distributor. You can go that route if you change to a 1957 and later distributor there were two different gear counts used on the 239's so there is a 50/50 chance you would have to swap gears. And you will not gain 30 H.P. Ted Eaton who is the Master of the Y-blocks has done a lot of testing on different combos. https://www.google.com/search?ei=2K7BW_ ... SB_DwWSzgg The headers will help the Four barrel addition to breathe that single exhaust is very restrictive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:45 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
Whyblock54 wrote:
speedbj wrote:

Larry
To use a later Edelbrock or Holley Carb with an adapter this will create an issue as these do not have the vacuum port to work with the 239's Load-O-Matic distributor. You can go that route if you change to a 1957 and later distributor there were two different gear counts used on the 239's so there is a 50/50 chance you would have to swap gears. And you will not gain 30 H.P. Ted Eaton who is the Master of the Y-blocks has done a lot of testing on different combos. https://www.google.com/search?ei=2K7BW_ ... SB_DwWSzgg The headers will help the Four barrel addition to breathe that single exhaust is very restrictive.

Interesting aritcle, lots of info there. Im gonna stick to the teapot carb on the manifold I purchased. I'm trying to stick with mods from the 60's so Im doing only things that could have been done then, within reason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:35 pm 

This would be a good addition in keeping with your theme: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pertroni ... 20866.html ;) Speaking about ignition if the car is running good as is I would not change the condenser there has been a high failure rate because most are off shore made and this has come up on many Ford forums best to keep your original one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
This would be a good addition in keeping with your theme: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pertroni ... 20866.html ;) Speaking about ignition if the car is running good as is I would not change the condenser there has been a high failure rate because most are off shore made and this has come up on many Ford forums best to keep your original one.

It does run good as is, but by accident, lol. I ordered a points and condenser kit. Supposed to be direct replacement. Not even close, different style points and condenser. So I replaced plugs, wires and coil. Runs great!