'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HEI Distributor setup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Administrator

My HEI Distributor arrived yesterday and I'm ready to install it. My problem is that my 302 hasn't had a distributor in it for some time and the crank has been rotated several times.

So...what I'm needing some assistance with is the physical installation of the distributor (making the teeth line up with the drive mechanism off of the cam, and second, getting the timing set correctly.

Any words of wisdom?

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:47 pm 

With the passenger side valve cover off #1 is in the front,since you have the Professional Products balancer rotate the crank to zero TDC,both rocker arms on #1 should be in the up position when you are ready to install install the distributor,turn the crank 4 degrees clockwise and it should seat correctly.If you have a problem getting it to seat,Google:SBF distributor installation there are a lot of posts with info.I will email you a pic that may help in postioning,if your roller motor was an H.O. the firing order is the same as a 351W.Since you mentioned that the distributor was out be sure and make sure the oil pump shaft is still in the motor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Administrator

thanks Jeff....if the oil pump shaft is the hexagonal shaped pin with a pointed top that you can see down in the bottom of the hole that the distributor goes in....then yes...it's still there.

I'm assuming that the distributor spins this shaft and makes the oil pump work.

Check out my 54 Ford Project Blog
http://mainlineford.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:35 pm 

I might add that you be sure it's TDC between the compression stroke and power stroke, not TDC between exhaust stroke and intake stroke. Otherwise you'll be 180 off, because both rockers are up in both TDC's.

1954 Skyliner 351 Cleveland/AOD with stall/4:11's/burnout machine/too bad it's a one-legger!