'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 pm 

Hi, my latest '54 Ford coupe has a story...as did most of my previous ones. I started out with a '56 convertible inherited from my Mom in '59, when she passed away.
There was a kid with a white '54 Coupe, I envied it for its sharp look...In 1965, I got the chance to buy a '54 Coupe from a friend. His wife had a '56 Merc, 312, M/T, so I bought both.
Engine & tranny from Merc went into the Ford, also the rear end and big brakes. Great street racer, was stolen and never recovered.

Previous '54 Coupe was white, bought it for $15 in Southern Calif., 1967. Installed a 336" Y block, later a 427 side oiler. Many suspension updates, car was a monster.

Some years ago, (1993) my son Rich surprised me with a Fathers Day gift: a '54 Ford Coupe! On a trailer, he delivered it to me here in Atwater, we changed oil, installed a battery, and replaced a broken fuel hose at the pump. Started right up, original 239" Y, with 3 speed.
Car was very familiar: in 1971 when I lived in Aptos by the sea there was an old man that drove one exactly like this one...Checking with the previous owner, I found this was the SAME CAR! (I had chased the old man down on 2 occasions, lost him in traffic both times!)
'54 Fords were still around, but they were mostly 4 doors or tudor sedans. Coupes were '52s and '53s; not desirable with that frontal pan frame and trunnion/king pin suspension...
Imagine my surprise when Rich rolled up with this Coupe! A Mainline, but I went searching for Customline trim.
Found a donor car for perfect front fenders, a friend sold me a Customline 4 door, I stripped it for parts.
A pal gave me a 360 truck engine, Rich gave me a box of new 406 pistons, and a 390 crank and the 'good' rods...Had the block punched and pistons fitted to honed bores, new 406 cam and solids, heads are C3 type, and Crane adj rockers. Edelbrock RPM int., and heavy 3 speed toploader, with Jeep T150 tower, and tall cane shift stick. (REAL 'floor shift') 9" rear, 3.90 gear. A Chevy Eater.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am 
Forum Administrator

Welcome to the Site Mike!

I feel like I already know you from the Hamb and know you will be a asset to the forum.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/