'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm 

I would ditch the idea of using a C4 and go with a 1989-93 non-computer AOD which is actually a better fit and you will have a .67 overdrive for the highway cruising especially if you are not planning a rear end swap. You can see the part numbers and pictures of the mounts used here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/med ... nts.41498/ The 302/5.0 is a better fit than the 351W due to it's extra width which puts it closer to the steering box.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:37 am 

thanks for the info.

I picked up an 89+ AOD last weekend for $150. I know it isn't any older than 89 based on the numbers on the outside of the case, and I know it isn't an AODE so I will be in good shape. Plan on doing the rebuild myself. I really appreciate the link and the pics too!

I gotta say this resto/mod seems to be far easier than the '66 Corvair I did. I think it's because the ford isn't a unibody and I don't have nearly the sheet metal restoration work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 pm 

Dedwinson wrote:
thanks for the info.

I picked up an 89+ AOD last weekend for $150. I know it isn't any older than 89 based on the numbers on the outside of the case, and I know it isn't an AODE so I will be in good shape. Plan on doing the rebuild myself. I really appreciate the link and the pics too!

I gotta say this resto/mod seems to be far easier than the '66 Corvair I did. I think it's because the ford isn't a unibody and I don't have nearly the sheet metal restoration work.
You may want to buy this video: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/29891 It is very complete and detailed. Also check these out on youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/playlist ... 2AAF5C7959

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:41 pm 

Welcome to the website. Lots of good help here...

I have done the 351W - C4 swap and if I can be of any help just let me know...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:18 pm 

Dedwinson wrote:
thanks for the info.

Does your AOD have a rod or cable type throttle valve linkage (kick down)? The cable will be the later version that came with EFI engines and is a little easier to deal with than the rod type.

Several of these guys have done the sbf/AOD swap so there is a plethora of information here. Mines more of a gasser race style with fender well headers, so my 54 application is a bit different but I have done the AOD in other cars and enjoy seeing these cars on the road regardless of the style.

James