'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:05 pm 

Note I was a little reluctant to post this because the removal was a bit unorthodox........

1954 Ford Customline 4 door 239 engine – Fordomatic - – There was a definite leak from the bell housing which could have been torque converter seals or front seal or both. I removed the transmission and bell housing as a unit. It did NOT go well. I followed the factory service manual exactly but once the bell housing was disconnected it would slide back until the transmission hit the frame cross member. At this point the front of the bellhousing was supposed to drop down for removal. That didn't happen. Note this was impossible on a transmission jack because of the angle. The bell housing would not clear the engine. It would drop to about crankshaft level and be wedged in place. Spent several hours trying everything possible but to no avail. The choice was to cut about an 10” section out of the frame cross member or open a slot in the floor allowing the tail shaft more upper movement. I elected to cut a 8” wide by 15” slot in the floor which is mostly under the driver seat and on the driveshaft hump..

This allowed the transmission to drop in the front and be removed. It also helped in the re-installation. Replaced both converter seals, front pump seal and bushing. Fairly easy task. Stood the transmission on end, bell housing up and slid the converter on. This was done to prevent possible seal damage. Then temporarily bolted the lower front bell housing cover on with several bolts and wedged a wood block between it and the torque converter to keep the converter in place during re-installation.

Several things – When reinstalling make sure the 6 bolt holes that attach the converter to the flex plate are lined up before bolting bellhousisng in place (learned this the hard way).

Ford uses a strange bunch of brackets to support the engine while removing the transmission. Lots of luck finding one. I used a ratchet strap attached to the hood hinge points (fairly strong there) and ran the strap under the pan. Started with a small jack under the pan but the strap allowed me to remove it to slide he transmission out the front.

There are two rubber plugs under the floor mat to allow access to the upper bell housing bolts.

This actually would have been fairly easy process if the transmission would have easily dropped out.

I formed a cover from 18 gage metal to fit over the transmission hump where the floor was cut.

Because of the angle required I ended up not using the transmission jack. It didn't work well with the angle required to remove or reinstall.