'54 Ford Club of America - Forum

Forum participation is open to the general public. This forum is made possible by dues paid by the members of the 54 Ford Club of America. Therefore we ask that, if you post a car or parts for sale, you join the national club.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:46 pm 

trikepapa wrote:
Thanks guys for continuing the thread, I got distracted and missed the last few posts. Catching up, I must agree with Cliff, Danny's installation is about as clean as you'll ever see. That said, you can't beat Jeff's setup either.

Jeff, how hard was it to find a donor 65 mustang with a good AC setup. As you may recall, my 302 is set up like a 68 mustang (haven't done the swap yet, but the engine is ready), so if I could find one, I assume I could go the same way.

Anyone else out there with a story to tell? I'm all ears, or is it just big ears, either way, i'm listening again.
:lol:
Trikepapa-RonC
Here's a retro Ford unit with the Ford crest: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-underdash- ... Swo6lWLQ4E The '68 brackets will work just fine the only hose I had custom made was the liquid line,1967-68 289-302 Mustang radiators are the same dimensions as the 52-56 Fords so the same condensers and dryers and hoses to the compressor can be used.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:20 am 

I was looking at Danny's pics of his set up for the a/c and noticed he doesn't have a heater, so my question would be where would you put the stuff for the a/c if you still have the heater core? I do plan on putting a/c in my glasstop, when I start redoing it, but I still need the heater since I'm a poor yankee in Illannoy lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 am 
Forum Administrator

olred54ragtop wrote:
I was looking at Danny's pics of his set up for the a/c and noticed he doesn't have a heater, so my question would be where would you put the stuff for the a/c if you still have the heater core? I do plan on putting a/c in my glasstop, when I start redoing it, but I still need the heater since I'm a poor yankee in Illannoy lol.

Look closer Jeff,I live in the Sunny South but it get's cold here during the winter also.

When my wife's grandmother purchased the Ranch Wagon it was a radio & heater delete,when Brenda & I started dating I often went with her on Saturdays to deliver flowers and we froze our butts off during the winter months.

When I was prepping the car I purchased a original '54 heater but decided against it when I found a heat & air unit,best of both worlds all in one unit,thus I sold the original unit and kept the original heat delete plate on the firewall and routed the air conditioning & heater hoses through that plate.

Here you can see the lower heater hoses & the upper air conditioner hoses.

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

Photos of the Ranch Wagon,, 348 images and the Wagon is finally a driver!
http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/hotrodprimer-1/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:04 pm 

I see everything now Danny, must not have had enough folgers yet to open the peepers lol, thanks. Yea but you southern folks wear winter coats when it's 50 degrees while us Yankees are wearing flip flops and shorts if it gets that warm in January up here lol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:10 pm 
Forum Administrator

Ron,did you ever install the air conditioner?

I'm from a two tin cans and a string era trying to muddle my way through Cyberspace!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:09 am 

Anybody ever try a factory/salvage yard set up? I saw a Maverick with A/C and the unit under the dash did not look very big. Another option maybe is Pinto/Mustang II?

Back in High school, my car and girlfriend were the only things I needed in life. I still have that car.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 am 
Forum Administrator

Back in the 70's I used a aftermarket under dash air unit I pulled from a 67 Ford in a 40 Ford and it worked great.

I used the condenser from the 67 Ford but used a new compressor and dryer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm 

Danny,
Sorry for the late, late reply...... you asked if I had installed the a/c yet. We are in process now. I went with the Vintage Air Universal Gen IV setup. Time and weather permiting, we should finish it in the next couple weeks. The responses from all club membets were invaluable in helping me choose Vintage Air, and I appreciate everyone's input.
Trikepapa - RonC